Financial Aid
& Scholarships

Applying for and Maintaining Financial Aid

What is financial aid?

There are many different types of financial aid available at Eastern, including Pell Grants, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants, Academic Competitiveness Grant, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grants, Tribal Grants and Scholarships, Work Study Programs, Direct Loans (Subsidized/Unsubsidized) and Direct Parent PLUS.

Where do I begin?

Each student who wishes to apply for financial aid will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be obtained from Eastern's Office of Financial Aid, high school counselors, libraries or by phone at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). The fastest and easiest option is to apply online at www.fafsa.gov. You will need your family's tax information to complete the application. Eastern's financial aid code is 003155.

Do I qualify?

Financial aid is granted to students depending on their degree of need. Using the FAFSA, a student's degree of need is determined by an analysis of such factors as family income, number of children in a family, and value of family assets. The amount of "financial need" determines the amount of financial aid to be awarded.

As of July 1, 2012, students seeking federal financial aid at Eastern Oklahoma State College must have a high school diploma or GED. If a student does not have a high school diploma or GED, they can be directed to one of the following locations for information about the GED training programs.

McAlester Adult Learning Center
2801 N. "A" Street
McAlester, OK

Idabel Adult Learning Center
1203 SE Quincy Street
Idabel, OK

How are types of financial aid different?

Grants are need-based aid from the federal government and do not require repayment as long as students complete the semester. Loans, either federal or private, must be repaid. Federal work study enables qualified students to work around their class schedule and earn funds that are used toward their education. Students who qualify may be offered combinations of these types of aid depending on financial need and available funding.

Maintaining Financial Aid

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is used to define successful completion of coursework to maintain eligibility for student financial aid. Federal regulations require the college to establish, publish and apply standards to monitor your progress toward completion of your certificate or degree program. If you fail to meet these standards, you will be placed on financial aid warning or suspension. Your academic performance must meet the SAP standards below. The policy is separate and apart from other academic policies at the college.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (pdf)
Financial Aid Suspension Appeal (pdf)

Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify students for federal financial aid. For more information, view this explanation of penalties (pdf).

Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct

Eastern Oklahoma State College's Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct prohibits conflicts of interest in situations involving student financial aid and establishes standards of conduct for employees with responsibility for student financial aid. To learn more, view Eastern's Statement of Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct (pdf).

Private Education Loans

Eastern Oklahoma State College does not recommend, promote, or endorse any lenders and does not have any preferred lender lists. The federal government is the sole lender for the Federal Direct Student Loans: Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford, and Federal Direct Parent loans.

Students should only consider obtaining private education loans after maxing out all eligibility for federal aid: Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Work-study, and Federal Direct Student Loans.

To determine federal aid eligibility, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA). Federal student loans often have more favorable terms than private loans. Private education loans are a last resort to meet education costs and should only be considered after exhausting all other aid options (federal, state, and institutional). Students should contact the Financial Aid Office prior to considering private education loans. For more information about private education loans, visit the Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid website.

Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is awarded to a student who is not eligible for a Pell grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U. S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. To learn more, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Financial Aid Forms

Visit the Financial Aid Forms page to download necessary forms.

Additional Resources


Office of Financial Aid
Enrollment Center, First Floor Library
Fax: 918.465.4460

Mimi Kelley
Financial Aid Director

Patricia Rector
Assistant Director

Dayna Bills
Financial Aid Officer
Phone: 918.465.1795
Fax: 918.465.4460