Logo
Eastern Oklahoma State College Athletics
Athletics

Eastern Mountaineers

 
The mascot name for Eastern apparently changed with the name of the college. Known previously as the Eastern A & M Miners, with Eastern Oklahoma College carrying the nickname of the “College in the Mountains,” the new mascot logically became the “Mountaineers.” The Mountaineers started a tradition under new football coach Red Weissinger that would last for years, as his reputation continued to grow as an outstanding coach. The first home game in history for the Mountaineers of Eastern took place October 14, 1927, against the Murray Aggies. Mountaineers 13 Aggies 6. The first edition of the “Mountaineer” paper published by Eastern was off the press in the third week of March 1928.