Accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission
Eastern Oklahoma State College has been officially accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association since March 1954.
What is the Higher Learning Commission?
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent corporation that
was founded in 1895 as one of six regional institutional accreditors in
the United States. HLC accredits degree-granting post-secondary
educational institutions in the North Central region, which includes the state of Oklahoma.
HLC has established five Criteria for Accreditation, and evaluates
colleges and universities to verify that they are met. The Criteria set
forth basic standards in areas including:
- Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct
- Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support
- Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement
- Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness
The HLC Campus Visit
Accreditation is an ongoing process that requires all colleges and
universities to be reviewed periodically for reaffirmation of their
accreditation. Eastern Oklahoma State College's next 10-year comprehensive evaluation and site visit is scheduled for February 27-28, 2017.
A comprehensive evaluation includes the following components
Submission and review of institutional materials demonstrating compliance with HLC's Criteria for Accreditation
- Federal Compliance Review
- Student Opinion Survey
- On-site peer review visit
- Multi-campus visit (for institutions with multiple branch campuses)
- Embedded change requests (if applicable)
HLC Open Forums
There will be three open forums as part of Eastern's HLC site visit. Each forum will focus on HLC's specific Criteria for Accreditation. All members of the campus community are invited to attend. Open forums will take place in the Ballroom on the second floor of the Tourtellotte Student Center.
Open Forum 1: Monday, Feb. 27 - 1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
- Criterion 3: The institutions provides high quality education, wherever and however its offerings are delivered
- Criterion 4: The institution demonstrates responsibility of the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services, and it evaluates their effectiveness for student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvements
Open Forum 2: Monday, Feb. 27 - 2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Criterion 5: The institution’s resources, structures, and processes are sufficient to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges and opportunities
Open Forum 3: Tuesday, Feb. 28 - 8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Criterion 1: The institution’s mission is clear and articulated publicly; it guides the institution’s operations
- Criterion 2: The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible
Eastern's Self-Study Report
The Higher Learning Commission Self-Study and evaluation process helped Eastern faculty and staff gain a deeper understanding of our progress and challenges in fulfilling the institution's mission. The goal of the report is to demonstrate, with evidence, that Eastern meets the five Criteria for Accreditation set forth by the Higher Learning Commission. Eastern's 2017 HLC Self-Study Assurance Argument is available for download (pdf).
In preparation for Eastern's upcoming comprehensive evaluation by the Higher Learning Commission, the public is invited to submit comments about the College. The HLC team will review the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria for Accreditation.
The public is invited to submit comments regarding
the college to the following address:
Public Comment on
Eastern Oklahoma State College
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
The public may also submit comments on HLC’s
website at www.hlcommission.org/comment.
Comments must address substantive matters related
to the quality of the institution or its academic
programs. Comments must be in writing.
All comments must be received by January 30, 2017.
The HLC Resources page provides links to resources relevant to Eastern's accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission.