Students explore “College and Beyond” at Eastern Oklahoma State College’s GEAR UP summer camp
WILBURTON, OK (Aug. 1, 2017) – GEAR UP students from southeastern Oklahoma recently gathered at Eastern Oklahoma State College to complete the final steps in their college readiness journey.
Eastern GEAR UP partnered with FOCUS Training to deliver an interactive and content-rich program. This four-day camp prepared students for the transition into college and gave them a head start on their career paths.
Sessions attended included:
- College Time Management—learning how to prioritize the items in your life to what is important and urgent using the Covey Matrix
- Freshmen Foundation—interactive activity to identify and learn how to utilize on-campus support systems as resources throughout their first year in college
- Personal Budgeting—highly interactive simulator that allowed students to understand and practice managing money and setting a budget throughout college
- Networking Like a Pro—70% of jobs are found through networking and the students learned how to create a relationship map to learn how to build their network
- Career Exploration—this simulator gave students a glimpse of the everyday life of an adult and how their level of education effects their way of life
- Essay Writing—rising seniors learn and put into practice tips for creating a top-notch college admissions essay
As part of camp, participants immersed themselves in college life at Eastern by experiencing instruction in a college classroom, sleeping in the residence halls, and dining in the cafeteria.
Highlights of the camp included:
- Hands-on activities that focused on setting goals to create a clear plan for the students’ years in college
- Outdoor adventure race that challenged students on problem solving and team dynamic
- Community service project where the students focused on acknowledging and showing appreciation to the EOSC GEAR UP staff for all the support they have given over the years
- Entertaining presentations from the students showcasing their life goals after college
Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) is a federal initiative to increase the number of low-income students who enter and successfully transition into postsecondary education. The camp was free to GEAR UP participants.
Front Row: John Stout, Matthew Brooks, Talia Cox, Ashley Bray, Colton Luna, Aurora Buss, Kaitlyn Daniel, Liam Morris, Kaytlen Sennett, Patrick Williams, Sonny Botts, Will Copeland, Morgan Arledge, and Lacey Kinnikin. Row 2: Madison McCoy, Scotlin Rizor, Noah Turner, Karlie Young, Jennifer Ashley, Jonathan Delcid, Gabriela Lopez, Brayden McKelvey, Davian Noels, Michael Williams, Trace Murdock, Emily Patton, Telissa Call, Kaylia Coleman, FOCUS Trainer Vale Cardenas and Desarae Jordan. Row 3: FOCUS Trainer Alyssa Chang, Lane Crouch, Courtney Phillips, Alyssa Powell, Dylan Rodgers, Victoria Ryan, Rosetta Coley, Alison Corcoran, Heaven Brown, Trinity Williams, Shania Lawrence, Marin McClellan, Johnathon Shores and Paige Wilson. Back Row: FOCUS Trainer Latrell Armstrong, Brooke Kelley, Emily Shiew, Tory Eatmon, IJ Jaramillo, Blake Robbins, Jaden Parsons, Andrew Howell, Ivan Baker Jr., Kevin Pollard III, Andrew Young, John Cranford III, Devon Cox, Gilles Goddard, Tre LaMere III and Ujayi Patel.